Monday, August 16, 2010

Student Portrait Week

It's week 3, Student Photo Week, on the NOT Back-to-School blog hop hosted at Heart of the Matter. However, my husband strongly prefers that I do not put photos of our children on my blog and I strongly prefer to respect his preferences. So, you won't find any photos here and if you were looking for them, feel free to move onto other blogs on the blog hop.

What you will find, instead, is a verbal snap shot of each of my children, a little paragraph focusing on some part of their personality. You see, I was hugely challenged by the keynote speaker on Saturday of the 2010 AFHE Homeschool Convention, Carol Barnier. She spoke of how we can focus too closely on the problems in each of our children, and miss their gifts, their unique qualities that can be of use to God.

My 8th grader –
Just that morning, while eating breakfast at the time-share we were staying in, I complained about my son's lack of opinions to my friend. She had asked him if he wanted another glass of milk, and he replied, "I don't know." He really and truly didn't know if he wanted more milk or not, and I just don't get how someone wouldn't know what he wants.

During Mrs. Barnier's talk, as a shed a few tears because of the conviction I was under, it occurred to me to rethink this character trait that annoys me so much. It took a bit, but then it became suddenly clear to me. It’s not that he doesn’t know what he wants; it’s that he doesn’t care. If he has more milk or if he doesn’t have more milk, it’s all good to him. Are you seeing where I am going with this? In 1Tim 6:8, Paul admonishes Christians with, “And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.” It seems my son is further along in this regard than I myself am.

My 6th grader –
This girl is immensely capable and reliable. Once she has learned how to do something, such as make a spaghetti dinner by herself, I can count on her to do it again without help, supervision, or even problems. She’s my go-to girl, and is slowly and wonderfully becoming my dearest companion. Other people are beginning to see her quiet and unassuming dependable character too. Even at such a young age, she is being asked by other people to do tasks typically reserved for older girls, such as serving drinks when our church hosting a meal for out of town preachers. Even better is that her reliability is accompanied by a servant's heart.

My 2nd grader –
There is a heart for missions in this guy. A couple years back, he told me he was going to build a boat when he grew up, travel to China and tell all the people there about God, Jesus, and the Bible, and then he would be a policeman. While he has a better understanding of the numbers of people in China now, and his policeman dreams are fading a bit, he still wants to tell others about the one true God and His free gift of salvation. The thought of being the mother and main teacher of a future missionary scares me a bit.

My K’er –
This boy has an overweening sense of order. Before he was a year old, he would line his cars up by size; a practice he still does when he is finished playing with them. I have to fuss at him in the grocery store, because he doesn’t want to leave an aisle until he has straightened all the shelves he can reach and brought packages of food forward to fill empty places. He even tries to change my organization system on my books shelves, but… Well I don’t tolerate that much because I disagree with him on a couple of key issues (for example, he likes books pushed all the way back to the wall and I prefer the spines all aligned). This little man has some detail-orientated future in store for him. I can see that God placing him with us will be a good thing. He will learn how to tolerate those that don’t sweat the details much ;o).

My preschooler –
My baby. The Lord definitely knew what he was doing when he gave us this one last. She has such a personality that only her youth keeps her from dominating all the rest of her siblings. I’ve even seen my teenager obey her commands once or twice! Thankfully, the majority of her bossiness is simple mothering. “Bruvver, use two hands!” is a typical ordered issued from her cute little mouth. I foresee her happily in charge of a large family of kids some day.

My children are wonderful, unique, pleasant individuals. I enjoy being with each and every one of them, and it is amazing to me to watch who they will be unfolding in who they are. May their unique gifts become a blessing to man and bring glory to God.

4 comments:

dmauton said...

What beautiful "snapshots" of your children. Have a great school year this year.

Denise said...

I enjoyed reading about your children. I have a 7th grade boy and he sounds very similar to yours. And that is awesome about your 2nd grader! My 2nd grade boy said at one point that he wants to be an animal! (He is our animal freak). lol

Debbie said...

I enjoyed reading about your children's gifts and characters. Kids are all so different, aren't they?

Theresa said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love reading the blogs of moms who have been homeschooling for a while--I learn soo much!!